Thursday, July 10, 2008

13 months old and the Big Wild Goose Pagoda

Today Miya turns 13 months old!

Before I start today's post, I need to shout out a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my grandma Una Mae and my friend Ana!! We are thinking about you in China and hope that you have a wonderful birthday!

First up, Team China Support is falling apart.

After dinner last night my mom said "I have a stomach ache". Long story short, she has food poisoning from the hotel room service she ate last night. She had a very long night in the bathroom and when I went in to her room this morning she was not looking very good at all and moaned "will you get me a coke?". So I did and then I mixed her up 2 bottles of Gatorade, gave her some Imodium, and sternly ordered her to drink fluids. She hasn't been out of bed all day. Meanwhile, my brother has been battling a sore throat and slight fever for the past two days.

Now, don't freak out Mike and yaya sisters. We are taking very good care of her and at the time of this typing it is 4:00p.m. and she is feeling better much better and is drinking fluids. She has been reading and visiting with us while resting today. I hope she doesn't get mad at me for writing about her sickness...

Miya on the other hand has turned the corner! Her cough is pretty much gone and I have not had to give her Tylenol all day. She is getting more and more vocal and very active! She babbles, squeals, blows bubbles, and crawls all over the place. I have also noticed that she is not interested in playing with more than one toy at a time. She seems to get overwhelmed at all the options if I give her too many to play with. She would rather play with two stacking cups or just one ring vs. all of them at one time. She also really likes to play with an empty water bottle, the diaper wipe travel bag, or the hotel room key (one at a time of course). Again, I just don't think she has ever had the opportunity to play with a lot of toys and is overwhelmed very quickly. She also seems more comfortable in our hotel room and sort of shuts down and is very quiet when we leave to go outside or touring....or maybe she is just hotter than you know what, I don't really know. ;-)

She is a very good eater and has been eating cheerios, banana bread, mandarin oranges, deli turkey, deli ham, rice congee, steamed bread, and eggs. She also drinks 3-4 bottles per day. I am not introducing too many new foods right now and am just sticking with what they told me she eats. I did give her a fry last night and she gummed it up and then spit it out, it was pretty funny. Her self-feeding skills are a bit delayed, I am guessing she is eating at a 9 month level. She is getting better with her pincher grasp though and she can sure shove banana bread into her mouth, but she likes it when I feed her too...it's working out just fine. We were standing in the elevator yesterday and my brother said "yep, your a mother now...you have oranges in your hair, stains and slobber on your shirt, and pee on your shoe"...yes, you read that right. Rookie mom put her diaper on too loose and well...you get the picture.

Ok, now on to the the days activities. I was prepared to try and handle the buffet by myself this morning, but Dustin came in and decided he was feeling good enough to go with me (thank goodness). We sat next to a nice group of ladies from New York this morning at breakfast. They asked if they could be nosy and of course I said "sure, yes I am adopting and this is our 4th day together!" They then ooohed and aaahed over Miya and I. It was nice to visit with them.

My mom stayed at the hotel while Dustin, Miya, and I headed off to tour the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. If you would like to read more about the pagoda, click HERE.

After the Pagoda tour, we checked in on my mom and then headed over to the restaurant next door...man, the canon restaurant is so good! We ate pork dishes and rice...are you beginning to see a pattern here? Breakfast buffet, tour, lunch, nap, playtime, bath, dinner and bed. Actually, that's Miya's schedule. The adults haven't been eating lunch and dinner regularly, we just aren't hungry.

Tomorrow we pick up Miya's passport and then head to Guangzhou, our flight leaves at 6:30...our first flight with baby!! Yep, I'm a little freaked out about it....

Pics of the day!
Breakfast w/ mommy and my uncle!

Big Wild Goose Pagoda....
Lunch at the yummy restaurant next to the hotel...
Nap time....
She is so precious....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to be the first to make a comment today:-) Glad to hear your mom and brother are feeling better! I'm sure Miya will do great flying! It's kind of nice you have a shorter flight to test things out before your really long flight home. Have a great day!
Hannah

Anonymous said...

Miya looks lovely, she is glowing, like she had a lot of beauty sleep. More gorgeous in every photo. She looks like a lot of fun too. What a keeewwwt-lively baby Sara.

Anonymous said...

She is sooo precious! She's changed so much, too, from the pictures when you first got her! She's a happy baby!

Hope you have a safe flight - not too much longer and you'll have her home!

:) Ana

p.s. Thank you for the birthday wishes! It was a good day and nigh!;)

Anonymous said...

AWWWW...I can feel that burn though your photo Dustin with that Coke in you your hand. I could all most feel it in mine. Take another one for me.... that look so good I wish I could have a can of cold coke right now. Oh Miya looks cute too today but the coke looks more attractive to me right now!