Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Getting to know each other...and the old city wall

We hung out at the hotel yesterday morning. Miya woke up at 5:45a.m. and I think she would have gone back to sleep, but I picked her up when she started rustling around in her crib.

Thinking back, she probably wasn't quite ready to get up as her schedule says she rises at 7:30a.m. However, I was up for the day and thought she wanted to be too...needless to say, she went down for her nap at 9:00a.m. and slept until 11:30a.m. She is still running a fever and pulling on her ears, but her cough seems to be better. Thank god I brought Tylenol. I think she'll turn the corner soon though...

We met Celine in the lobby at 1:00p.m. and headed out for a quick tour of the Xi'an city wall.

After the tour, it was time to feed Miya her lunch and then another nap. Funny how your life automatically revolves around naps and eating when you have kids. :-)

Here are a few things I've noticed about my girl...
  • She crawls! She can also pull herself up to standing and cruise along the bed while holding on. Not much longer and she'll be toddling around.
  • Yesterday I turned the TV on and she stared at it frozen. I don't think she had ever watched t.v. before. She doesn't like CNN, but she really liked a Chinese version of Barney.
  • The first time I put a hat on her, she again sat very still and frozen like. I'm not sure that she had ever had a hat on before either. I put it on her again today and she thought it was the greatest. She giggles at herself when she looks in the mirror...it is pretty cute.
  • She seems a bit delayed in some areas (developmentally), but is on track in other areas...I think. I didn't bring my What to expect the toddler years book and don't feel like looking it up on the Internet, so we'll just wait and figure out what we need to work on when we get home. Besides, I'm having fun treating her like a little baby and it is helping us bond.

We ate dinner at the restaurant next door. I have no idea what the name is, but it's the one with the canons in front for those of you reading who have been here before. It was really yummy, Miya thought so too.

After dinner, we headed down to the department store/supermarket. I wish we would have had our guide there, the language barrier and trying to figure out how to pay was too much to deal with. Checking out goes a little like this:
  • Find merchandise
  • find lady to write ticket
  • leave merchandise in the aisle you found it
  • find cash register
  • pay for merchandise
  • go back to aisle and pick up merchandise
It's different for groceries, you just go to the register and pay. No big deal. It was also hotter than you know what and I had Miya in the Ergo. She is a heat machine. Long story short I nearly had a melt down and little Miya was just as overwhelmed and hot. We did manage to by her some new shoes, an umbrella (to shield her from the sun), and some oreos and then headed back to the hotel.

After a bath and playtime, we hit the hay at 8:30p.m.
Here are the pics of the day! :-)

Waking up, chatting with Grandpa Jerry, eating banana bread, and brushing my hair...what more could a girl want?
Getting ready for the day...
Xi'an city wall...
sightseeing in
95 degrees + 19 pounds of pure joy in the Ergo = fast track to weight loss...




















Yum! Noodles...

Prunes for dessert? Oh well, I think they are good...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Miya is a little better. Hope those ears clear up before flying home. I must look at your site 50 times a days hoping for a new update. Your play by play makes me feel like I am there a little bit, at least in spirit. Keep the pics coming, I know cyberland loves them, as do I. Missing u guys lots. xoxox ryan

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

This is SO, SO excellent... I have been away and come back to Miya... whoo hoo... glad she is feeling better... I have lots to catch up on and I have been scanning all the photos... this is all so great... take care

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys are having so much fun together. I'm glad that your girl seems to be feeling a little bit better! Miya you are so cute! We are going to have a fun summer! Love ya

Lexi

Anonymous said...

SARAH AND MIA!!!
IM SO GLAD TO HEAR SHE IS FEELING BETTER!! SHE SURE IS A CUTIE!!! I PRINTED HER PICTURES FOR LILLY AND HAILEY AND THEY ARE SO EXCITED TO MEET HER! HAILEY SAYS " MIA IS GETTING BIG MOM!" THEY ARE GOING TO LOVE HER SO MUCH!!!!! CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU GUYS~ MUCH LOVE!!!
SARAH, HAILEY AND LILLY

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Sara! Ali pointed me to your site - I had no idea all of this was going on in your life! How exciting for you, that it's finally happening, after all of your hard work.

Glad you're having a good trip, and all is going so well for all of you. Enjoy every second, and keep taking those pictures! I'll keep following your adventures. Big hugs to all of you!

Beth (from NIC/the Booster Club so many years ago!)

Glomama said...

Sounds like you are handling Xi'an like a pro. Did you find the park yet? Can't wait until you do the TC warriors. It's amazing. Just hold on to Miya really tight!! I know the White Swan has an in house doctor if I recall. Going to the hospital in GZ reminded me of being on the set of MASH. So, if you can avoid that, do check out the doc in the White Swan if she isn't doing better. You all look great despite the heat and humidity. I remember it well!! I used to drag a washcloth from the hotel with me at all times.

Gloria
Trenton, MI

Anonymous said...

Sara, like you I remember thinking it was kind of nice that Ellen was a little delayed. Because you do get to baby them a little more. You will get to see her first steps, etc. These are very smart girls and she will catch up really fast, too fast.....

Love the pictures..you guys take care.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of her stretching. That one could win a prize. How adorable Miya is! I think she is doing very well if she can crawl, pull up and walk around the bed. She is having so many firsts—a mommy, grandma and uncle, seeing non- Asian faces, in a new environment and learning a new language, etc.! She may not have had much cuddling, so what fun to make up for the past year. The updates are such fun. Sara, you sound like a wonderful mommy and it is easy to see the Miya has stolen your heart. I am so happy for you. Sharon

Anonymous said...

She is absolutely beautiful! I can't wait till you bring her home. Glad to hear she is feeling a bit better. Hope your enjoying every minute of your journey. Congradulations mommy:)
Love Shayla