Saturday, July 5, 2008

Beijing Day 2 continued....

During breakfast we spotted a family with a little boy. My mom had met one of their family members in the elevator the day before, but wasn’t aware that they were an adoptive family. We assumed he was here on business…she headed over to their table to say hello and congratulate them. It was pretty clear their daughter (about my age) had met her little guy maybe that day or the day before. My mom came back to the table and said “their Gotcha Day was yesterday, she is single and her mom and dad are traveling with her”. She had also shared with them that we would be heading to Xi’an later and our Gotcha Day was going to be the very next day. You should have seen this little guy…he was very serious, so cute, and sitting on his mom’s lap having a bite to eat. He was so precious. Remember in yesterday’s post when I said this still didn’t feel real to me. It did then and at that very moment I put my napkin over my eyes and cried.

After breakfast, we headed off to the Jade Factory, the Great Wall of China, and the Ming Tombs. While driving to the Great Wall, my mom asked our guide, Tracy, “if you could visit one place in the world, where would you go?” Tracy said, “Holland”. I then asked my mom the same question and she looked at me and said “The Great Wall of China”.

I had no idea, I mean I knew she wanted to see the Great Wall….but I didn’t know this would be such a meaningful important day in my mom’s life. It was fun to watch her experience her dream. The weather gave reprieve as well and rained…we didn’t mind, it was nice.

The Jade Factory....




















The Great Wall of China...















My mom, living her dream :-)

















Standing on the Great Wall....














Split pants everywhere :-)











After the Great Wall, we toured the Ming Tombs. Such a beautiful place and the scenery surrounding was just spectacular, out in the country, in the mountains. It was really fun.


































After the tombs, it was time to get down to business. Tracy and Mr. Gau dropped us off at the airport and we then hung out in Beijing International for a few hours and waited for our flight to Xi’an. I think we were all a little nervous and our jet leg seems to be kicking in at about 2:00p.m. ish…so we were starting to feel weary.
Our flight to Xi’an left at 9:30p.m. (1 hour late), and we arrived safe and sound at 11:00a.m. Celine, our translator, adoption facilitator, and guide met us at the airport. As soon as we got in the van she turned around and said “Here’s the itinerary of your stay in Xi’an, you will receive your child tomorrow at 6:00p.m.” It’s happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We checked into the Sheraton, which is very nice. We have two adjoining rooms. My mom and brother are staying in one and Miya and I will be in the other. When I walked into the room there was a little crib all set up for Miya. Oh, I can’t wait.
Take me to my baby.....















Miya's little crib in the hotel room...




















As I type this post it is 8:30a.m. on Sunday, July 6, Miya’s Gotcha Day. I slept 6.5 hours last night, the longest since I have been here. We are on our own until 5:30p.m.where we will meet Celine in the lobby and then head over to the civil affairs office. I suppose we will eat breakfast, get organized, head over to the supermarket, and just try to stay busy.

This is the last post before Miya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

Wow... as I type this, you should be almost heading to the Civil affair's office for Miya!!! I keep saying, So exciting cause it just is SOOOO very exciting. Next posting you will be the proud momma of Miya! Can't wait for pictures!!!

Lisa

Mei Mei s and Mayhem said...

I cant believe you will have your daughter in a few hours!!!! It does not seem real to me yet either, after such a long wait it is very surreal. I cant wait to see your pictures when I wake up tomorrow morning. YOu and Miya will be in my thoughts and prayers.

April

Anonymous said...

Hello Sara--Ellen and I are checking your blog daily and are so thrilled to be along on your journey! We can't wait to meey Miya!! You are all in our thoughts and hearts.

Ellen would like me to request more pictures of split pants. :)=

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see pictures of you and Miya together.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you, this is an incredible journey of happiness.

Fluffymall.com said...

As a mother of three, I am very excited for you, and wish you the best of luck!