Friday, July 11, 2008

Last Day in Xian, First Day in Guangzhou

Sara's not feeling well so here's an email my mom sent to her friends that pretty much catches everybody up-to-date!


Hello friends:
I wanted to tell you the tale of our exit from Xi'an! We sat in the civil affairs office for nearly an hour (he wasn't there) and our guide/interpreter finally got his assistant on the phone. He came, took the key from above the door, opened it and got the necessary paperwork and went with us to the police station (the place where you get passports) where we waited for the passport that was to be issued within the hour. Well, the hour was up and if we didn't leave PDQ, we would miss our flight to Guangzhou. Soooo, after waiting all week for her passport to be issued, we left without it with the promise that it would be delivered here before our consulate appointment on Monday...
Well, don't get to a Chinese airport an hour before flight! lines, lines and more lines. Our guide tried to get us through VIP/ first class. Haha! We just barely made it, had time to get through security, change babies diaper and get in line for boarding. Guess what? The famous fanny pack was missing off my body!! With all of our big money in it... I remembered I had to take it off in security but Dustin had grabbed my bags and off we went after I got "wanded" in the line, and he didn't realize I had it on. Anyway, I left Sara standing in line to board with the worst look of panic I'd ever seen. I ran back to security, not remembering which line I had been in, just happened (just happened??) to spot someone that looked familiar and asked in sign language, "fanny pack?". Two cute young fellers snatched it out from behind something, took out my ID driver's license and gave me the once over, smiling so sweetly and sent me on my way. I got back to line and Sara was in a full blown sobbing episode. I made my girl cry. Poor Miya, was looking at her mommy and wondering what the heck was going on!
We all got seats together in the back of the plane and actually Sara and baby got to sit in the last row alone so all was well. The flight in ZH airlines was pretty good. (did you notice, we talk like Chinese people) We hadn't eaten since breakfast and it was now 7pm so we took a chance and ate the food they offered. We didn't die.
We are now in Guangzhou and it is hot and humid. We are so excited because there are American families all over the place and we went to Miya's medical exam with several families from Small World Adoption Agency with many from Spokane area. Breakfast was crawling with special needs adoption kiddos and it almost made me cry. We are so blessed to have such a beautiful little girl. We are no longer the only American's for people to stare at so Sara doesn't feel so strange. I like it. I loved meeting the people when I visited here in 2000 and say hello to everyone who even looks my way. More people know English nowadays as they are teaching it in the elementary schools.

On the way back from medical exam, we met Jordan and spent some time (and money!) in his store. I will have to go back for sure when Miya wasn't ready for her nap. Dustin just left to take our laundry out. He won't send his out again as in Xi'an the guide sent a guy over that was cheaper than the hotel and they stretched the neck of his tee shirts out. Like "flash dance" he said. So he goes with the hotel laundry and doesn't mind paying the price.

OHHHHHH!! get this news! When we were picked up at the airport, the guide explained the White Swan Hotel wasn't able to accomodate our request for adjoining rooms so they gave us a free upgrade. We are on the 24th floor, palace suite with a river view! Two bedrooms, living room, three bathrooms two fridges, three tv's, and the list goes on and on. Not too bad. Party in Sara's room!! Our agency director in Spokane had told us the White Swan makes the Cd'a Resort look like motel 6. Maybe not quite, but this place is fabulous.

Well, time for siesta. Sara has a paperwork meeting in the Chinese Small World Agency's room at 3pm (with no children please) so Grandma gets her FIRST official babysitting job and I want to be well rested! She's so hard to handle you know...

Pics Of The Day!

Miya's first flight...



Everything looks great!




Outside the medical clinic




The Limited Edition Barbie that all adoptive families get from the White Swan was in our room when we returned from Lunch!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're safely in Guangzhou & living in luxury no less! Sorry my fanny pack caused such a stir. You almost lost Grandma over it! You have been so blessed in making all your connections. Little Miya couldn't be more beautiful or accommodating. My MN granddaughter, Andie, is standing here looking a pictures with me.

Anonymous said...

I want to say "hello" to my new cousin from China. I know we will meet someday in Cd'A or please come visit us in Minnesota. I love your hat. Hats are my favorite thing to wear too! Love from Andie

Anonymous said...

Hi Grandma! Getting to babysit little Miya for the first time. How lovely. Thank you for the blog post, and we love love love, the photos! What a lovely blog. A wonderful idea Sara. I see Sara is wearing her wonderful walking shoes. Miya is so content. What a cutie pie.

Deborah said...

So glad to hear you've made it to GZ...we enjoyed your adventure in Xian. It makes me want to go back again. Also glad you enjoyed the cannon restaurant! We had our laundry done in GZ at Ladybug Corner and it was cheap and everything came back folded nicely and put into individual plastic bags...it was just like getting new clothes! Congratulations...you're almost home!
Deborah DeBraal, Kingsport, TN

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Excellent news letter mum... thanks for the update... thank goodness you got your fanny pack back... that is the main thing... and oh... Miya is as cute as a button... take care

Anonymous said...

Sara and family - Enjoyed Grandma's update. Got quite a scare there didn't you. I do believe Miya has put on some weight and she looks very happy. This blog is great - almost like being there. Eva

Anonymous said...

Sara, hope you get to feeling better fast. Great post Cynthia, sounds like a few crazy hours. So glad you found the fanny pack, carrying that money is scary.

Take care and enjoy your last few days.

Miya seems to be a "go with the flow" kind of gal. Can't wait to meet her.